There is a lot of talk about whether .Mac is still relevant and a lot of people are not going to renew. There is even a viral feedback petition to Apple. Our .Mac membership doesn't expire until March. I am not sure if we will renew it. Some of the features we don't use, while others we do:
- Mail/Keychain Sync - Is use this to synchronize my mail settings, keychain between different macs
- HomePage - This is a very easy way to create a web pages, especially to share movies. (Google Page Creator may be a reasonable replacement)
- iDisk - I only use iDisk for storing videos for iDisk. We could just as easily use our web server with the WebDAV module.
- Backup - This is an easy way to have automatic offsite incremental backups. (I think that this alone may justify the membership)
- Bookmark Sync - Since I use Firefox, Google Browser Sync is use to synchronize bookmarks. One reason that this is better that .Mac is that it works cross platform.
- .Mac mail - Gmail is a better implementation of webmail and POP based mail.
- Secure iChat - This is not that useful, as it you can only send encrypted messages to other .Mac users
- s/mime email - Unfortunately most people are not able to verify signatures or encrypt/decrypt messages.
- iWeb - So far HomePage has worked for us, so I haven't even launched the program.
- Groups - If we needed to use this, we could use Google Groups.
- iCards - I believe that you don't need to be a .Mac member to send an iCard.
- Online iCal - Google Calendar implements online calendars better than .Mac