Now that we have moved into our new house, I have decided to simplify a lot of things.
- We are not running a web or mail server out of our house. This means that I don't have to worry about making sure that our connection is up, or have a UPS for the server. We ordered a Mac Mini that we will keep our music on.
- Got regular consumer broadband connection. Since we are not running a server at home, we are not paying for the business class dsl with a fast upload speed and the static ip addresses. Now we just have the standard cable modem service
- Using POTS telephone line, instead of VoIP. When we were using VoIP, we needed to make sure that QoS was availble for the network. When we were using Vonage, I used a router and software to make sure that the packets going to the Vonage ATA were prioritized higher than other packets.
- Using a Airport Extreme as the network router/firewall. Instead of using the Linksys WRT54GS, with the Sveasoft open source firmware, I will be using the Apple gateway.
- Not wiring the house. Before we moved into our last house, I make ran ethernet cables to each room. Now we are using wireless around the house. I have an Airport Extreme connected to the cable modem, and a Airport Express in the TV area. The Airport Express is connected to the Airport Extreme with WDS, and I have a switch connected to the ethernet port where I have the PS2 connected to.
Technorati Tags: networking