When I transitioned from the web server running in my house, I moved to a Virtual Private Server. When that server had problems with connectivity, I moved to a Virtual Private Server with Godaddy. This server worked very well for several years, but it started to need more maintenance that I want to do now.
Since I was really just using the VPS for a few WordPress installations and small web site, I decided to move it to a Godaddy Deluxe WordPress hosting plan. The transfer of the sites went smoothly, but recently the server started returning 500 errors, when accessing simple web pages. Since the hosting plan doesn't give you as much visibility into the processes that are running or access to the logs, as the VPS did, it hard to track down the problem.
I decided to move to more managed hosting. I moved the blogs to WordPress.com. Since the static sites are pretty simple, I decided to move them to Google Sites.