I am thinking about disabling comments on this blog, but also adding Google Friend Connect's Wall gadget. This would enable:
- Offload the spam filtering from my server
- Reduce the chance of security holes, as less user input would allowed on my server
- Enable cross site conversations,
- Enable the users to archive their comments
But there are some downsides to this
- Potentially slows the page loads, as requests have to go to additional servers.
- For posts that already have comments, the comments that had been previously added will not appear the same as the new comments.
Has anyone else done this? If so, how well does it work? Or should I just stick to LifeType's internal comments?