MediaCentral has some pretty cool features:
- Presents a catalog and can play IPTV streams
- Plays TV for DVB-T broadcasts
- Plays various video formats, both from iTunes and accessible in an mounted file system
- Plays DVDs and DVD VIDEO_TS files
- Plays music from CDs or iPods
- Plays music from iTunes Library or files accessible on mounted file systems
- Plays internet radio stations
- Skype integration
- Plays classic video games
- Views photos from iPhoto or on a mounted filesystem
- Plays photostreams from .Mac or flickr.
There are a few things that it doesn't seem to do well:
- Doesn't play protected purchased videos from iTunes
- Many of the controls are not accessible with the Apple Remote
I am fine with those limitations, so now I am getting my media organized so it can be accessible from MediaCentral. Luckily there is a fully functional demo (5 minute run limit) where I can make sure things will work, before paying for it.
There is one request that I will make to the developer is to support arbitrary rss feeds of photos. If that can't be support, I will see about writing a plugin for Gallery2 to generate a photostream.