I have been interested in getting a Windows Home Server for a while. Last week we got a HP MediaSmart ex475. I was looking forward to installing it, and transfering everything off our NAS and our Mac mini.
When I plugged it in, it started up fine. I installed the software fine on my laptop, but when the setup assistant tried to find the server, it failed. It looks like this problem is happening to many other people. Reseting the server back to factory defaults didn't solve the problem.
I am extremely frustrated with this. I am going to try creating a network with only the server and my laptop, to see if a noisy network could have caused the communication to be interrupted. If that doesn't work, I will call HP techinical support. (Unfortunately, this is hard for me to do, as they are only open during business hours, and I am at work at that time.)
I am very close to sending this back.