Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what would happen if I plugged our TV into our cable line. We don't get our television through cable, since we have DIRECTV, but we do use a Comcast cable modem. I was really interested to see if any HD channels were accessible this way.
When I connected the cable, and had the TV scan for channels, over 100 channels were found. Many of these were HD channels. Here are some of the interesting things that I noticed:
- The Over-The-Air SD and HD channels were present.
- Many of the basic channels were also available
- Many cable HD channels were available (ESPN HD)
- All FM radio stations were present in Audio only channels
We are not going to watch TV this way, since it isn't really convenient.
- We don't have ability to record the HD content
- The channel numbers of the channel can change at any time, and since the TV doesn't deal with the channel map changes like cable boxes do.