Since I have been having problem with what appears to be a memory leak, I have been taking a look at what has been taking all of the memory. I create a cron job that every five minutes gets the status of the computer. It is running the following command.
ps -auxw; cat /proc/meminfo
I don't have a monitor connected to this computer, but I do run a vnc server. This had been configured to start KDE. I changed the window manager for this vnc server to fvwm. This is a window manager that is smaller than KDE.
I also changed the number of requests that each apache thread can handle before it quits to 25. And, I went through the modules that had were included in apache, and removed ones that I didn't need. I removed these modules: